Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ten x Ten = 100

When this is published to my blog, it will be the 100th post of Random Rambles. That seems to be quite a milestone in most areas of life, so I wanted to write about something special in honor of it. I wish it could be the announcement that my novel is finally finished….but only 15 of the 36 chapters have been written to date.

A few suggestions were offered, including making a list of 100 things. I love lists! However, it’s more difficult to ramble when writing a list, and there are so many wonderful things to list I couldn’t narrow it down to just one topic. (I will admit the idea of making a list of 100 things to make a list about was seriously considered.)

Another idea was to ramble on about the number 100 itself, which was also seriously considered, as there are many fun and interesting things about the number 100 that I could talk about. But it just didn’t seem “special” enough, you know? A few more ideas were writing it in 100 words (but you wouldn’t know unless I told you, and I’d still need a topic), or 100 lines (which would be so long no one would finish reading it; we’re only on line 14 here).

So I continued to roll the idea around in my head, as well as asking friends for input, and I finally decided that I definitely want to talk about my novel, since I really, really, really, really want to finish it before the end of 2012 (or the end of the world, whichever comes first! hahahaha). I considered posting the first 100 words, but the second paragraph ends on word #97, and the next three lead you to believe something that isn’t true (how’s that for intrigue?) Since I haven’t finished the last chapter yet, I can’t include the last 100 words either....(plus that would just be cruel for all of us purists who like to wait until we get to the end to know what happens).

FINALLY I got the idea to use the first ten words from the first ten chapters, so there are 100 words total:
The first thing I learned at Faded Elegance was that
“Surprise!” I opened the front door and took a deep
The next morning I woke up early, and decided to
The second thing I learned at Faded Elegance is that
I pulled into the Zip’s parking lot and checked my
“How was your date with Blaize?” Connor and I were
The third thing I learned at Faded Elegance is that
I stepped into the September Valley Starbucks and smiled. Connor
The next morning I slept in and my family
“Are you nervous?” “Never,” I smiled. Connor opened the car

So there you have it. A fun and interesting way to celebrate 100 posts. Here’s to 100 more (and the long awaited completion of Coming Home)….

No comments:

Post a Comment