Friday, January 9, 2015

Thankful365 – Day 9: Promises

“Have you ever wanted a certain answer from God so desperately that you consciously or subconsciously tried to ‘rig’ the results? Reading things into the answer that just weren’t there? Grabbing the first thing out of someone’s mouth as your answer? I think we all have.” – Beth Moore, Portraits of Devotion

i heart you

Let me start by saying, I love Beth Moore. I love the way she teaches, the way she writes; it is honestly life-changing watching her videos (she’s a very dynamic speaker!), and participating in her Bible studies! And now I have a copy of something else she wrote, Portraits of Devotion, a 366-day devotional.

The quote above is from today’s reading. The Scripture passage was 1 Samuel 6:1-12, and talks about the Philistines trying to keep the Ark of the Covenant from Israel and God winning out in the end. He not only made their idol (to some pagan god) fall down and worship Him, He literally followed them from town to town with a plague, and then ended up leading the cows they used to pull the Ark (knowing they wouldn’t actually obey of their own accord) right back to Israel.

In that quote, she goes on to say, “It’s easy to do, but it invariably leads to pain because we end up claiming a promise or position God never gave us.” How many times have I tried to “steal the Ark”, to claim something that God hasn’t really given to me? Too many to count! And it never works out in my favor! In the meantime, I’m missing out on the all the amazing promises and blessings that God actually did intend for my life. Because, as the photo illustrates, He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment