It’s been encouraging and amusing to read about the many thanks of my friends and family on Facebook this year. Here are my first ten, in no particular order:
1. I am thankful to be a Princess, a Daughter of the King of Kings. I know and love a living God who ardently seeks a daily, personal love relationship with His Children. He is the only One who is always there when I need advice, or want to share a special story (or random ramble), and always forgives my mess.
2. I am thankful to be blessed with the gift of writing. Weaving stories and creating worlds parallel to my own brings me peace and joy. Having writers’ block has also been an interesting blessing, prompting me to find new and more creative ways of exploring those worlds. I hope one day to share them with all of you.
3. I am thankful for this apartment where I’ve been living for almost two years. It has a large living room and two great bedrooms. The price is very affordable, and I feel safe and warm sitting here writing while our first real snow of the season is piling up outside the window behind me.
4. I am thankful for Dusty (my car), and the freedom she affords me to get up and go whenever and wherever I feel the urge or have the need. Although this is a small town, and walking isn’t unreasonable or unsafe, it’s much more convenient (and less stressful!) to just get in my car and drive.
5. I am thankful for the great new job I have this school year at Franklin Elementary School. The Staff have been welcoming and encouraging, and the kids are such a fun blessing to work with every day! And if I’m totally honest with myself, I can say that I am thankful even for the hard days, as I know we are making a difference.
6. I am thankful to be able to buy groceries and prepare meals for myself. I don’t often feel up to the task, especially since I live alone and don’t have to make anything for anyone else, but when I do cook something it fills me up in more ways than just a happy stomach – my heart is filled as well, knowing I can provide.
7. I am thankful for Oliver, my special teddy bear, my constant companion; I sleep with him every night, holding him tight, knowing that I’m safe. He goes with me to new places and situations that are unfamiliar and unnerving. He helps me stay grounded – and he’s so perfectly huggable!
8. I am thankful for my family and all of the encouragement they send my way. Watching them grow and start families of their own is a great picture of the loving design God has for our lives. I can’t wait to see the amazing stories of their lives unfold as we pass the years together.
9. I am thankful for my closest friends. To be honest, I am blessed to have two kinds of family in my life: those that are connected by marriages and births, and those that are connected by choice. This special kind of family has helped me stay afloat and eventually make it out of the cave; now we can enjoy the sun together!
10. I am thankful for the gift of creativity. Being able to make art that will delight and touch others is also healing for me. I find it relaxing to make something out of a random mix of materials, to smear paint, glue, and pretty paper onto a canvas and create something beautiful. This is one more way I feel closer to the heart of God.