Saturday, December 1, 2012

25 Days of Christmas

I love new beginnings! Today is not only the beginning of a new month it is also the beginning of the countdown to Christmas. It bothers me that there are 25 days (an odd number), but I’m just going to avoid thinking about that aspect of it and try to have some fun.

So far I haven’t done much to celebrate the season. Oliver and I put up my Christmas tree (he mostly watched, and played in the branches when it was up, before the lights and ornaments went on). Also I’ve been trying to watch at least one Christmas movie every day. Most I’ve seen before, a few are new to me. I started with "Elf" the day after Thanksgiving. So far only one has been really lame, out of nine. A few others I don’t want to see again but they were ok once.

I have to be honest in saying that I haven’t really felt the joy of Christmas for a long time. When I think about it from a distance, this is by far one of my most favorite times of the year, right up there with early spring when the world starts to come alive again. And yet every year when Thanksgiving ends I just feel….lonely.

This isn’t the rabbit trail I want to explore today. Then again, I’m not sure what I’m going to write about, so we’ll discover that together. Feel free to leave suggestions, I’ll at least read them, maybe even accept a few! For now let’s just enjoy a Christmas classic (“It’s a Wonderful Life”), and I’ll be back in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment