Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ghostly Gesso Transfer

For my exploration of a new technique this week, I wanted to try something I’ve heard mentioned in countless videos and was curious about:  image transfer.

DSCN3714

There are different ways to achieve a transfer; most use gel medium, which is one I haven’t quite mastered. I also saw a few videos regarding packing tape transfers which I may also attempt in future. The above photo was done using gesso, in my Weekly Wednesday art journal (for this week’s autumn prompt). I tore a photo out of the book about barns that I had purchased to alter (which, by the way,  I have decided against) and cut it down to a smaller size.

Now, I’m not sure how successful I was in this endeavor, although I’m very pleased with the result. What I did was put the gesso onto the art journal page, covering an area roughly the size of the picture (a little bigger just to be sure, you definitely don’t want to miss any). I then laid it down onto the gesso and smoothed it out with a brayer. Here’s an important step:  let it sit there overnight, to make sure it becomes completely dry, before attempting to remove the paper.

The next day I sprayed the image, letting the water soak into the paper before rubbing it off. Just take your finger and gently rub in small circles, allowing the top layer of paper to come off, leaving the ink embedded in the gesso. You can see a bit of white around the edges where I pulled up both layers of the book page accidentally, as well as a few spots within the picture. After a while you get used to what it’s supposed to look like and that doesn’t happen as often.

I realize my explanation was probably a bit lame, but my allergies have taken over my brain today (super high pollen in Pullman this Spring!). If you have any questions or concerns please leave a comment and I’ll try to explain better. Also, if you have any tips or tricks, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment