Friday, August 17, 2012

Fly In Formation


“The trick is not to rid your stomach of butterflies, but to make them fly in formation.”
~ Author Unknown


butterfly kites

I realized something earlier this evening:  today was my last free weekday before the start of a new school year. Which led to another realization:  I haven’t really done anything to get ready, or even really thought about what I’ll be doing at the new school, because I’m still so excited I got the transfer!

I’m not really nervous to start at a new school; I know how to do this job, and I know I can do it well. In fact, I’ve been doing it well these past two years in this very District. I’m actually really excited that I will finally be working in an environment where that fact will be noticed and appreciated, which will go a long way towards helping me find a teaching job once I’m certified. And that may happen sooner than I expected. God is definitely working things out for me!

To be honest, I don’t really remember ever being nervous about anything. I have wondered, on occasion, who first described it as “butterflies in the stomach” and how they came to that analogy. I imagine it’s a soft fluttering of some kind, like when a butterfly brushes its wings against your cheek. That doesn’t seem so bad, though. I think a better comparison would be a flock of ducks. That would be unsettling! But so powerful if you really could make them fly in formation….

No comments:

Post a Comment