Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Just Let It Go

“I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in autumn, how they’re experts at letting go.” ~ Jeffrey McDaniel

autumn tree

We could all learn something from these silent sentries. Without a word they teach us the way of true growth and prosperity. With the changing of seasons comes the moment of truth:  the air gets cooler and the days grow shorter; the leaves begin to change colors and die, so the trees just….let go.

I don’t know about you, but I always seem to make things too complicated. When seasons change in my own life, when things start to cool down and the darkness creeps in, when I feel parts of myself starting to die – or one of my worlds of friendship start to crumble – I tighten my grip. Sometimes I hold on so fiercely I end up with nothing but a pile of broken pieces. But you see, just like with the trees, those seasons pass….winter comes along and I feel frozen for a while….but Spring always comes, and brings with it new life, new opportunities, new hope. I just need a little faith; I need to let go, and wait for the spring to come.

Of course, there are times in life when people must know when not to let go, too; I think that’s why balloons are given to children….

No comments:

Post a Comment