Monday, July 30, 2012

“America Again” (1995) Carman

“George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, First Chief Justice John Jay. Names synonymous with the spirit of our country, founding fathers of the U.S.A. Over 200 years ago they shook off the chains of tyranny from Great Britain by divine call. Citing 27 biblical violations, they wrote the Declaration of Independence, with liberty, and justice, for all. But something happened since Jefferson called the Bible the cornerstone for American liberty, then put it in our schools as a light. Or since ‘Give me liberty or give me death!’ Patrick Henry said, ‘Our country was founded on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.’ We eliminated God from the equation of American life, thus eliminating the reason this Nation first began. From beyond the grave I hear the voices of our founding fathers plead, you need God in America, again. Of the 55 men who formed the Constitution, 52 were active members of their church. Founding fathers like Noah Webster, who wrote the first dictionary, could literally quote the Bible, chapter and verse.

“James Madison said, 'We've staked our future on our ability to follow the ten command- ments with all our heart.' These men believed you couldn't even call yourself an American if you subvert the Word of God. In his farewell address, Washington said, 'You can't have national morality apart from Religious principal,' and it's true. Cause right now we have nearly a hundred and fifty thousand kids carrying guns to these warzones we call public schools. In the 40s and 50s student problems were chewing gum and talking, in the 90s, rape and murder are the trend. The only way this nation can even hope to last this decade, is put God in America, again!” [Then the chorus, more spoken verses]

On this day in 1956, “In God we trust” became the official motto of the United States. A month later three high school students in Mansfield, Texas attempted to enter Mansfield High School and were met by over 300 angry whites, including the mayor and chief of police, refusing to let them pass.

Carman wrote and released this song in 1995, almost thirty years after we declared to the world as a nation “We trust in God.” What does that even mean? And how are we living it out, in our every day lives, at work or in school? Is it really a motto, or just something we stamp on our currency?

I can only speak for myself on this one. And I have to say that I don’t trust God very often. I love Him and want Him to be part of my life, but I’m selfish and sinful, and I end up doing things my own way. I know He’s always there for me when I need Him, but I really need to start trusting Him right now, in the moments that make up my day, before there’s a crisis I can’t handle. I don’t want to meet Him saying, “I guess I was just going through the motions….I’m sorry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment