Monday, July 30, 2012

LOL

I’ll be the first to admit, I was resistant to the whole texting revolution. I got my first cell phone after I moved into an apartment in Clarkston; my first time living on my own, I figured I might need it “just in case”. But no texting on my plan. In fact, it wasn’t until I’d had my second cell phone for almost two years before I broke down and added it. I even made sure I had the kind with a keyboard so it would be easier (I didn’t know about T9 then).

You see, I’ve never really liked talking on the phone, although when a friend calls I end up having a several hour conversation most of the time. I think there are two reasons for this:  I don’t like to make the call (I always feel like I’m interrupting, and I know some of my friends will answer even if they can’t talk); and I find myself unsure of when it’s my turn to talk, or I just don’t think about it and end up literally interrupting (in the middle of them saying something).

It didn’t take long for me to realize that texting is a great compromise. If they can’t talk, they can just ignore the text (for some reason this is easier than ignoring a ringing phone; personally, I have no problem hitting “ignore” when my phone rings!) or they can quickly respond with a text back. Now I make sure I have unlimited text on my plan, no matter how few the minutes may be. And I never come close to going over on talking, because I never really call anyone!

So the next hurdle for me to get over:  text code. That’s what I call it anyway. You know what I mean:  “ttyl” (talk to you later) or “lmao” (laughing my ass off). Or as Weird Al says in his parody song “White and Nerdy”:  “I can make you rotflol” (roll on the floor laughing out loud). It’s become too much to type thank you, so we text “ty,” or “yw” for you’re welcome. At first I flat refused to shorten any of my words – why pay extra for a keyboard if you’re only going to use a third of the letters? Eventually I found myself saying “lol” a lot, but that’s because something was really funny, and I literally “laughed out loud.” But I draw the line there.

Well, today is “Make Someone Laugh Day,” and it got me thinking about the things in life that make me laugh. I’ve been talking to a new friend online a lot this past month, who happens to be very funny, so I’ve been typing “lol” quite often. In fact, I find myself thinking it when I see or hear something funny, and I almost want to say “lol” out loud! (Could this be some kind of weird tropical disease??) This isn’t a bad thing, laughter is great! And when you laugh out loud, it usually gets other people to at least smile, if not laugh themselves (especially when you’re in a public place like Starbucks, which happens to me all the time!).

My list of things that make me laugh isn’t quite as long as my list of happy, and it’s difficult to share some of them here (length is always a concern, and some things you just wouldn’t find as amusing as I do). So I decided to share about my newest obsession (“lol”) and these photographs I found online:

muddy         

They just look like they’re having so much fun! I can almost hear them giggling and it makes me – literally – laugh out loud. I hope you found something to laugh about today, and were able to share it with someone you love. If these photos don’t do it, try watching White and Nerdy and not laughing! Have fun my friends [smile]

No comments:

Post a Comment