Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Am A Writer

We’ve all had those moments, when you’re reading a book or watching a movie, and it hits you – “it,” an emotional response, you laugh out loud or you start crying and can’t stop. Because it spoke to you on some deep level. We always carry that place with us; but it takes something special to remind us it’s there.

I want that. I want people to have those moments when they read my story. I want them to laugh at the craziness of Jordan. I want them to jump up and down and do a happy dance when the two (I won’t say which two) finally kiss. When someone dies I want them to cry. I want to reach that place in my readers.

And when they walk away from it, when they close the book for the last time and the story is over, I want them to feel a sense of satisfaction, completion, hope. I want them to know that they were part of something bigger than themselves, something that changed them, even just a little bit.

You see, I don’t write about aliens or monsters, I don’t write about worlds that will never exist. I don’t know how. All I know is what I see around me, this reality that I live every day. And that’s what I write about. I take pieces of myself and mix them with pieces of who I want to be.

I don’t write because I have a story to tell. I write because I feel like I’m suffocating when I don’t. I write because God gave me a special gift and not using it would be a great dishonor to all that He is to me. I write because I have to. I don’t know if I’m any good. I don’t know if anyone will ever read my book. But I’m writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment