Friday, July 6, 2012

A Picture Postcard

I love postcards! When I was in University I decided to decorate my dorm room door with free ones – changed out at regular intervals in our SUB – and ended up with over 100 different ones (which I still have!). I also have several from the few places I’ve traveled so far, and some random ones I discover at thrift shops here and there. Some of my favorites are just vintage photos reinforced on chipboard, and someone stamped a postcard template on the back.

Well, it turns out that the very first postcard with a picture on it was mailed 172 years ago in London. The sender and receiver was the same man, Theodore Hook. It had a picture of men working at the post office, and it’s supposed that he sent it (to himself) as a joke. The price of the stamp? One penny.

Today it costs thirty-two cents (according to the USPS). Of course, letter writing is somewhat of a lost art these days. In my (humble) opinion, it should make a comeback, and what better way to get that started than postcards? The price of stamps is cheaper, the process has fewer steps (find a postcard, write on it, mail it), and the space available is limited to the size of the card! Like all good things in life, you take baby steps my friends, baby steps. What do you say? Postcard revolution? Who’s with me?? I’ll send a handmade picture postcard, in honor of today, to the first four people to give me their address.

In fact, I’ll post photos of them on here, just to show that I followed thru with my commitment; but I will mail them out under one more condition:  upon receipt of said card, you must leave a comment under the photos and tell everyone when you received it, where you were, and what you were wearing! Deal?

4 comments:

  1. The first choice goes to Kathy B! There are still three left, so if you'd like one, send me your address or leave a comment and say so. I'll get photos of them up soon, but you don't have to wait for those to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have one of your postcards. 520 E Earll Dr. #58, Phoenix, AZ 85012. Thank you. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!!!! Im looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like old vintage looking ones. I used to have a bunch my grandmother received from many people. I wonder what happened to them?

    ReplyDelete