Sunday, July 29, 2012

“So Yesterday” (2003) Hilary Duff


You can change your life – if you wanna
You can change your clothes – if you wanna
If you change your mind
Well, that’s the way it goes

But I’m gonna keep your jeans
And your old black hat – cause I wanna
They look good on me
You’re never gonna get them back

At least not today, not today, not today
’cause

If it’s over, let it go and
Come tomorrow it will seem
So yesterday, so yesterday
I’m just a bird that’s already flown away

So begins the first single off Hilary Duff’s second album Metamorphosis. It was officially released on July 29, 2003 to mixed reviews. I’ve listened to it a few times, it’s nothing spectacular. The music video, on the other hand, is pretty fun. She’s sitting on a bench at the beach watching her ex thru binoculars. When he takes off his shirt and puts on a wetsuit to go surfing, she steals it (it’s an orange-ish t-shirt that says “Everything is bigger in Texas”), and throughout the video takes pictures of random people wearing it. Then she mails him the pictures (he looks like around thinking he’ll see who sent them – idiot), and returns the shirt at the end.

I wouldn’t recommend adding the song to any playlists; the music isn’t bad, and it has a good message, but it’s not anything special.

It gave me an idea, though. Well, the video did. (Sometimes the best ideas come to you in the shower, and sometimes they show up in the middle of the rabbit trail. You just gotta go with it, my friends.) A friend of mine had mentioned sending me a t-shirt for Oliver with the logo of her company on it. My idea is this:  if you send me something that either I can wear, or will fit Oliver, I will put it on and take a series of photos, and write a blog post about our adventure. Then I’ll send it back (if you want it) with a mini album for you to keep forever. It has to be appropriate for public photos but otherwise no restrictions. Let me know if you’re interested!

One last thought before we go:  it’s one of those fun little ironies in life that the term “so yesterday” is in fact itself, well, so yesterday….

No comments:

Post a Comment